The History of Holy Angels Parish in Sturgis, Michigan, is simply a continuation of the ongoing story of God’s goodness to His people throughout all the ages.
1864: Twelve people attended the first Mass celebrated by visiting priest, Father C. Ryckaert, in the home of William McLoughlin of Sturgis. Through their efforts, the congregation continued to grow and prosper. During those years, Mass was celebrated at various homes, but they had dreamed of a permanent structure.
1879: Fifteen years after the first Mass, the original church was built. It started with a donation of land and it followed by volunteers time, money, and materials to build. Through time various changes and additions were made.
1921: Holy Angels became an official parish.
1922: Fr. William Graeber became the first resident pastor.
1948: Holy Angels became the first church to found a parochial school in Sturgis, Michigan.
1955: Holy Angels had outgrown the small building that was originally built. A ground breaking ceremony was held for the new building and a year later the the church was completed.
Over the years there has been many changes and improvements to the parish buildings and grounds, but the integral part of the church, the faith and devotion of its parishioners has been unwavering since the first Mass celebrated in the McLoughlin Home!